Treat neighborhood birds to a snack…from a bird feeder made out of a used milk carton!
This activity is appropriate for:
kindergarten & up / 5 years & up
You will need:
- Empty milk carton
- Superbright Liquid Tempera – 1 Pint
- (Yellow, Orange, Red, and Brown Paint)
- Dish soap
- Wooden dowel or tree branch
- Fancy Pipe Stems – Class Set
- Rinse the milk carton with water. Set aside to dry.
- Have an adult help you cut out windows on each side of the carton.
- Mix your paints with a small amount of dish soap to keep them from peeling. Now, use the paint to decorate the carton. Set aside to dry.
- Poke small holes through two opposite sides of the base.
- Insert a dowel or branch into each hole to serve as a perch.
- Punch a hole in the top of the milk carton. Thread a pipe stem through the hole to use as a hanger.
- Fill the bottom of the carton with birdseed. Hang your feeder on a tree and watch the birds enjoy!
Thank you Lakeshore Learning for this great craft idea!!