It is so hard to believe that the school year has ended and we are now in full swing for summer! We all look forward to lazy days with our kids, and that is great, however summertime can be a great time to set some goals and help your child to develop in some areas that need improving. Every child should grow academically, physically, spiritually and emotionally this summer.
In order to do this you will need to have a plan! Try to think of some activities that will enhance growth in each area.
Here are some steps to help you get started:
1. You and your spouse (if you are married) should set aside some time to discuss your children and the areas that you would like to see them grow in. What activities do you think can help meet these needs? What are your child’s interests, hobbies, special abilities,etc?
2. Gather your family together and ask your children some questions: What would you like to learn more about? What are some of your favorite activities? What are your special interests?
3. You will need to know where your child is in each area and where you would like them to be by the end of the summer. (example: learn to enjoy reading, learn to help others, learn to share, etc.)
4. How will you measure progress? You can make a chart and give rewards as you see them improving in different areas. Give lots of praise when you see improvement!
Here is an example of some Summertime Developmental Objectives:
Intellectual – Improve Reading Skills
Plan – Read 5 Books this summer.
Physical – Learn to Swim
Plan – Take 2 weeks of swimming lessons
Spiritual – Learn the Joy of Helping Others
Plan – Do a Bible study of people who helped others. Visit a nursing home.
Emotional/Social – Get along better with siblings.
Plan – Determine a way your child antagonizes his/her siblings and make a plan to stop doing that one thing. Praise when you see improvement!
5. Even though it is important to have and set goals, remember that your children need to have “free time” every day! Part of the fun of summer is not having a schedule to stick to. Change the times that you do your plans each day, if possible, so that sometimes your children have their free time in the mornings so that they can sleep in, and sometimes they have it in the afternoon so that they can do other things they enjoy like playing outside with their friends!
And remember, the best way to see your your children grow in the areas that are important to you, is to pray for them!
Have a happy and safe summer!