Ages: 2 years and up
Your indoor gardener may not get your “bad hair day” jokes, but the fun of this grassy-haired friend won’t be lost on him. Like a Chia Pet, the project requires just a sprinkling of seeds, a bit of sun, and a few drops of patience.
- One 9- or 12-ounce plastic cup
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups of potting soil
- 1 tablespoon of grass seeds (we bought rye grass at a garden center)
- Decorations, such as office dot stickers, markers, and ribbon (for safety, it should measure less than 6 inches long)
- Fill the cup halfway with soil. Divide the remaining soil in two, then have your child measure the seeds and stir them into one of these halves. Tip: To speed germination, you can first soak the seeds in water overnight.
- Spoon the seed-filled soil into the cup, then top it with the remaining soil (this final layer should be about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep). Water the soil well.
- Let your child decorate the cup with stickers and markers. Finally, leave the plant in a warm, sunny spot to sprout. Water as necessary to keep the soil about as wet as a damp sponge.
This great idea is from Disney Family Fun!
You can also join our Private Facebook Page here so that you are sure to NEVER miss another one of our deals!
This post may contain affiliate links